Myths about boulinum toxin
In the mid-1970s, the American ophthalmologist Alan Scott was looking for a substance that would allow him to relax certain eye muscles and thus help patients with strabismus. He finally found the botulinum toxin and found that if it was used in the right dose, it was a success. In addition, from this point on he began to use it successfully for a variety of movement disorders.
Contrary to what many people may think, botulinum toxin, popularly known by the trade name Botox, is not a new treatment, but has been a basic tool in various medical specialties for over 20 years.
It has long been used in large doses in traumatology, also to prevent sweating problems, to improve spasticity in children or to treat migraines. It is true that its popularization and widespread use is due to aesthetic medicine.
The reason is its preventive, corrective and rehabilitative effect on some skin diseases. That is, by injecting the botulinum toxin into the skin we achieve relaxation of the muscles in this area, which paralyses them and thus reduces wrinkles.
Botulinum toxin is a protein extracted from the botulinum clostridium and has an immense safety margin. Its use by professionals is a very safe treatment that you need not be afraid of.
It is important to consider a number of aspects:
1. the botulinum toxin relaxes and does not replenish. It has been proven to have a rehabilitative effect on the muscle on which it acts. The effect should not be confused with other treatments that add volume or change shape.
2. Only a doctor should carry out this treatment. In 75% of the cases it is used by doctors of aesthetic medicine who have special training for its use.
3. it is a medical treatment, which means beware of offers and promotions. One vial per patient is used and the price is set by the Spanish Medicines Agency.
4. the dose is very important. You should neither use a higher dose than recommended nor a lower dose as this will affect the effectiveness and duration.
The Spanish Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (SECPRE), informs that botulinum toxin has a number of advantages over surgery:
- It is a treatment without anesthesia.
- The result is very natural and does not reduce the expressiveness of the face.
- It is a treatment suitable for all seasons.
- It is very effective in eliminating wrinkles between the eyebrows, forehead and eye contour.
- The effects are very fast and the results are visible from the first week
At Juaneda Hospitals, we encourage you to visit some of our aesthetic medicine specialists to obtain all the necessary information and a personal diagnosis.Juaneda, always near you.