Tips for taking care of your ears during the summer
The good weather means holidays, beach, swimming pool, the dives, and the soaking time that allow us to escape the suffocating heat.
Nevertheless, the fact of living in a wet environment and doing water activities can lead, when our ears get wet, a change to the PH of our skin and alter the natural protection of the ear canal. In other words, the famous earache associated with summer.
It is quite common to suffer both external otitis, also known as swimmer's ears, and middle ear infection, those caused by pressure changes, for example, when diving.
External otitis is the most common pathology at this time of the year. This is an infection of the ear canal skin, which causes inflammation causes severe pain. This inflammation will not allow us to apply the necessary drops, therefore we must us a cloth with the ointment to open the auditory tube.
Under no circumstances should the ear get wet in at least a week.
At Clinica Juaneda we would like to give you a few tips on how to protect your ears properly so that you can enjoy your holidays to the fullest.
- ALWAYS keep the ears dry: we can dry them either with alcohol and vinegar drops, or even with the hair dryer. In this way we will avoid altering the natural protection of the tube skin.
- Beware of diving: people with frequent earaches should try to get into the water with caution as pressure can cause hearing damage.
- Avoid sudden changes in temperature: the temperature difference between cold and warm temperatures can have an impact on your hearing health, which can cause otitis or congestion. The strong temperature change will expose the mucous membrane to external infections.
- Dirty or polluted water: water germs can obviously damage our ears.
- Hygiene care: being soaked in water for a long time, the accumulated wax can absorb water, swell and cause blockages. Under no circumstances should we use cotton swabs, as there is a risk of pushing the wax deeper and causing an infection. The specialist should be consulted immediately.
However, we encourage you to visit any of the ENT specialists at Clínica Juaneda, the best Otorhinolaryngology and Cervicofacil Pathology practice group.
Juaneda, close to you.