5 Tips for quitting smoking
Giving up smoking isn't easy. We are aware that the road to quit smoking is long and complicated, with highs and lows and many temptations that we will face in our daily lives.
Nicotine addiction, although it is socially accepted, it kills thousands of people every year.
For this reason, before starting with giving advice on how to stop smoking, at Juaneda we believe that it is important to be aware of a few facts that prove how harmful tobacco addiction can be:
- Smokers are three times more likely to suffer from cardiovascular diseases.
- Tobacco causes nearly 50,000 deaths annually in Spain from diseases such as chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung and pharynx cancer.
- Nicotine triggers the release of catecholamines (adrenaline and noradrenaline) that will cause damage to the internal artery walls, increase LDL levels, also known as bad cholesterol, and reduce HDL levels, more commonly known as good cholesterol.
- Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in men and women. But not only it increases that type of cancer, but it can also lead to other affected areas such as: mouth, larynx, pharynx, esophagus, kidney, cervix, liver, bladder, pancreas, stomach, colon and rectum.
- Smoking shortens the life of male smokers by about 12 years and the life of female smokers by about 11 years.
And since we all want to live as long as possible in the best conditions, we give you five tips that will make it easier for you to quit smoking:
1. Set a date and tell your friends and family. Besides the fact that their help will be crucial, it will also play a key factor not wanting to disappoint your loved ones. Setting a particular day is important to be mentally prepared and even reduce the number of cigarettes the days before.
2. Change your routine. Change the time of lunch and dinner and even the place of the house where you usually eat. Spend a lot of time in public places where smoking is not allowed. Try to avoid habits associated with tobacco (large intakes of alcohol, etc.).
3. Exercise, drink plenty of fluids, eat well, avoid heavy meals, and get plenty of sleep. Good habits can help you get the energy you need to overcome stress.
4. Have healthy snacks nearby that you can turn to in situations of anxiety: celery or carrot crudités, fruits or nuts.
5. Avoid temptation and get rid of all the cigarettes and ashtrays you may have at home. Also wash anything that smells like smoke: clothes, curtains, etc.
We are aware that it is not an easy task, but it is possible. With willpower and determination you will be able to achieve it.
Your body will thank you for it.
In case you need professional help, we will be here for you.Juaneda close to you.